The New Schools For Phoenix Fellowship is an intensive five-month experience designed to cultivate transformative leaders with the awareness, knowledge, and ability to lead highly-effective schools. Allowing for continuation of current work or study, the Fellowship uses evenings and weekends for Fellows to visit highly-effective schools nationally, dialogue with school leaders, build knowledge of excellent school design, and craft a vision for their own schools. Ideal candidates are current school principals in Phoenix’s urban core ready to take their school to the next level or aspiring leaders who want to design an innovative new model that will dramatically raise the bar for student achievement in a low-income, urban community.
- Workshops | In person experiences that build the ability, awareness, and knowledge of highly-effective school leaders
- National Excellent School Visits | Visits to national highly-effective schools and meetings with top school leaders
- Cohort Network | Membership in a cohort of leaders in education, all driven to improve education for children in low-income communities
- Manageable Schedule | Evening and weekend schedule that allows for continuation of current work or study
- Tuition Free | No fee to participate and travel expenses covered
- Grant Opportunities | Support in applying for new school start-up grant opportunities
- Pathway to School Design | Preparation to fully design a successful public school through a charter or strategic reform plan
The Fellowship is built on three core principles:
Be a Visionary
Transformative leaders are visionaries, and use values to drive all decision making
The New Schools For Phoenix Fellowship is designed to cultivate leaders who understand their values and strengths, who use this knowledge to navigate otherwise ambiguous decision making, and who integrate their beliefs into a broader vision for a school and community. Fellows will complete the Fellowship as mission-driven, visionary leaders.
Know the Possible
Transformative leaders think beyond what is now to what is possible
The New Schools For Phoenix Fellowship uses national visits to highly-effective schools and case studies to build an understanding of what is possible. School visits will expose Fellows to exemplars in their field and introduce Fellows to a variety of school models. Fellows will complete the Fellowship knowing the extent of what is possible and being prepared to exceed even the exemplars.
Understand School Design
Transformative leaders understand best practices in school design
The New Schools For Phoenix Fellowship incorporates practices of highly-effective schools into session content and out-of-session work. Fellows will study various educational models through research, dialogue, and school visits as they work toward a vision for their own school. Fellows will complete the Fellowship with the knowledge necessary to turn theory into action.
Want to Learn More?
If you are interested in learning more about the Fellowship, view the informational video, qualifications, and timeline below.
The application deadline for the 2015 New Schools For Phoenix Fellowship has now passed. Check back in the Fall for details on the 2016 Fellowship.